Monday, June 3, 2013
Monday, June 3, 2013
Co-chair of the 40th Independence Anniversary Committee Tracey Thompson read the 40-Day Countdown Proclamation by Prime Minister Perry Christie for the 40th Anniversary of Independence of The Bahamas.
Thompson read the proclamation during the official launch of the 40-Day Countdown to the 40th Independence Anniversary at the Office of The Prime Minister, Cable Beach, May 31, 2013.
The proclamation states that Bahamians have come to view the attainment of independence from the UK on July 10, 1973 as the third part in a trilogy of historically significant national events to have taken place in The Bahamas after Emancipation and Majority Rule.
The proclamation by the Prime Minister informs the public that there is an “intense schedule of events” planned and endorsed by the Independence Commission inclusive of National Colour Day and National Flag Day, which have been designed to facilitate the release of “nationalistic expressions and fervour”.
40th Independence Anniversary Committee member Arlene Nash-Ferguson said the event held May 31, 2013, marks the beginning of the official 40-day countdown to Independence 2013.
The launch event is scheduled for June 4 at 6:00 pm in Rawson Square.
Nash added: “At that time, the journey of the official 40th Independence National Flag to the entire Bahamas begins.”
Chairman of the 40th Anniversary Independence Secretariat, Jack Thompson said: “The National Independence Commission invites the entire Bahamas to join in the celebration and show our national pride by:
- draping your homes, streets, neighbourhoods and businesses in the colours of the national flag;
- decorating the interior of your businesses and workplaces in the colours of the national flag;
- say the Independence Prayer everyday of the countdown;
- countdown to Independence with your family especially the children;
- share some important information with your children about The Bahamas each day during the countdown
- create special independence traditions in your families and in your neighbourhoods;
- wear the national colours every Friday during the countdown from Friday, May 31 all the way through Friday, July 5; and
- participate in the Independence Calendar of Events.
Thompson added: “It is our 40th anniversary and we say to you hoist your flags, wear your colours, decorate the place and come out and let us celebrate.”